Pure hydrogen production
Pilot Plant required
The membrane reformer pilot plant designed and built by KT – Kinetics Technology in Chieti Scalo (Italy) in the Scientific and Technological Park of Abruzzo with a capacity of 20Nm3/h of pure hydrogen represents one of the most advanced applications of membranes coupled with the steam reforming process. It was realized within the framework of the Italian FISR (Fund Integrative Special Research- “Fondo Integrativo Speciale di Ricerca”) project “Pure hydrogen from natural gas reforming up to total conversion obtained by integrating chemical reaction and membrane separation“.
The project grouped the Italian Universities of L’Aquila, the university of Rome “La Sapienza”, the University of Naples “Federico II”, the University of Salerno “UNISA”, University of Messina, Pisa and Bologna – “Alma Mater Studiorum”. KT - Kinetics Technology was the industrial partner of this scientific research group.
Main features of the pilot plant:
- Feedstock and utilities to simulate real industrial operation
- Possibility to test three types of membrane modules with different geometries, palladium and palladium/silver based, with ceramic and metallic supports;
- steam reforming catalyst with a novel structure Silicon Carbide open-cells foam, with the noble metals based washcoat deposited on foam;
- Steam Reforming at lower temperature compared to conventional steam reformer;
- Production of pure hydrogen without the use of PSA
- Continuous operation H24 to test the stability of membranes and catalyst for a prolonged period of time. More than 3000 hours of operation have been accumulated
MIUR is gratefully acknowledged for the financial support